The Glamorous Side of Life

The Glamorous Side of Life

About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee
Live a Colorful Life is a place to share my hopes, thoughts, favorite recipes, personal style, ambitions, favorite reads and stories from my very colorful life. I am married to my best friend, John, and we have one beautiful four-legged daughter, Sophie. We are a true Southern family and can't imagine living anywhere else. I am passionate about giving back to the community and promoting early literacy. I am a former beauty queen... my most noteworthy title was Miss Tennessee Soybean Festival! I also love spending time with friends and family, Barre classes, running, organizing, shopping, reading, the beach, brunch and fresh roses. Above all else, I find my worth in my relationship with Christ. He shapes our family and life.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Lists of lists

How often are we asked to redefine ourselves? Perhaps we are starting a new career, relationship, moving to a new city, joining a new organization, or just redefining our lives. It seems as if the years of our 20's are just that...a time to redefine. Because I am a list girl, literally I have a list of lists that I need to make, therefore, I of course, made a list of what I need to redefine myself as, the list looked like this:
1. start a blog (check!)
2. decide which graduate program to attend
3. make a list of my strengths (interesting... I will share later!)
4. put my trust in God

Number four made me stop and ask, why am a putting the Lord on a list? We all put so much thought and concern into who we are that we forget what we are here for. I found a poem that helps put life into perspective for me:

God will never leave you empty.
If something is taken away,
He will replace it with something better.
If he denies your request in a certain area,
it is because he wishes to give you what is best.
If he asks you to put something down,
it is so you can pick up something greater.
-Roy Lessin

Therefore, I am putting down my pencil for lists and putting my trust in God. I challenge you to do the same and see where the Lord leads you.

Life can take on many forms of glamour, and as a former beauty queen...I say former because I no longer can wear a two piece on stage... well, I could but it would be scored RNS, for all of my avid Olympic fans, we all know RNS stands for "Run not scored" when the race is so bad, the judges are unable to score! : ) Anyways, as a former beauty queen, I have worn the beautiful jewels, performed on stages infront of hundreds and worn dresses that cost as much as my car, but I know these earthly "glamorous" items fail in comparison to what we will experience one day in Heaven. Today, my glamorous side of life is in a Kindergarten classroom, where I am inspiring 20 underpriviledged children to find life outside the confines of their current world. This includes wiping noses, changing catheters, giving approximately 100 hugs per day, seriously, and making sure each child learns in the midst of all of their struggles at the mere age of 5. This life is not glamorous to most people, but to me, I couldn't ask for a more glamorous life full of love and hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment